Book Title: A Beginner's Guide to 2D Platform Games with Unity: Create a Simple 2D Platform Game and Learn to Code in the Process
Publisher: Independently published
Author: Patrick Felicia
Related Books ** Buy this book today and create your first platformer game with Unity in no time **
In this book, the first in the "Beginner's Guide" series, you will create a simple 2D platform game
, create challenging gameplay and learn techniques to code more in less time
This book can be read as a standalone (you don't need to have read the previous books in the series
, although it may help) and focuses on: scoring system and lives
(e.g., keeping track of the score across the game), user interface
(menus and in-game information for 2D games), character movement
(e.g., walk, run, jump, crouch, etc.), character interaction
(i.e., collect objects or avoid other objects), playful game-mechanics
(e.g., bouncing objects, moving platforms, time-limited level, collapsing bridges, etc.) and improving C# programing skills
(e.g., important and useful functions and principles that you can reuse in your own games).
The main idea behind this book is to save you some headaches when you need to create your 2D platformer
and to help you to find the time to actually code your game, by explaining simple and effective ways and best coding practices that you can use easily to create more code (and games) in less time with less stress and more fun
. >> Buy this book now and get started on creating your 2D platformer right away!
The content of each chapter is as follows:
- Chapter 1, Creating a Simple Level, shows you how to create a simple level for a platformer game including a main character, a mini-map, platforms, cameras following the player, and sprites that you can collect or avoid.
- Chapter 2, Managing Score, Lives and Levels, explains how it is possible to manage the score and the number of lives across your scenes; you will also learn how to load new scenes based on conditions, and to also minimize your development time by using prefabs.
- Chapter 3, Adding Sound and Displaying Values Onscreen, explains how you can add audio to your game, and display and update information onscreen (e.g., number of lives or score).
- Chapter 4, Adding Challenging Gameplay, shows and explains how to make your platform game more challenging by adding engaging game mechanics (e.g., moving platforms, teleportation, etc.).
- Chapter 5 provides answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to the topics covered in this book.
- Chapter 6 summarizes the topics covered in the book and provides you with more information on the next steps.
The method explained in this book has been tried-and-tested, and I can guarantee that after reading this book, you will
be able to create your own 2D platform games; this is because the book includes step-by-step instructions, plenty of screenshots and explanations, and a format that is easy to read (just like a friend or a friendly instructor would explain coding to you: in a casual way, yet concise, accurate, and informative). The method used in this book is the same used in the books in the series called "Unity from Zero to Proficiency", a very successful series for which many readers have already given a 5 stars rating
, based on the content and the methodology used to teach Unity.
After buying the book, you also get access to the author, if you have any question, and to plenty of free add-ons worth over $100 exclusively made available to you
including a member area with weekly updates, a private Facebook group where you can post your questions, over 25 tutorials (video and text), cheat sheets, discounted paperback copies, and much more! Download this book now!